Support us! Bikerumor may earn a small commission from affiliate links in this article. Learn More
Southern California’s Poseidon Bikes had their new mountain bike, The Norton, on display at this year’s Sea Otter Classic. Poseidon Bikes is a company that has come to be known for its truly affordable sub-$1000 bicycles, like the Triton road bike for $699 (with a carbon/aluminum fork), the X Ambition at $899 (with a full carbon fork), and their gravel plus bike, the Redwood at $999.
The Norton was launched about a month ago and this is the first time I’ve seen it up close and personal. This is Poseidon’s first bike that breaks through the $1000 threshold, retailing for a bit more at $1299. It is a 27.5″ wheeled hardtail that has modern geometry.
The aluminum frame features a tapered head tube and routing for a dropper post (dropper not included though). It’s got internal cable routing as well with an option to externally run your rear brake cable or hose if desired. The Norton also has thru-axles front and rear, with standard 12 x 148mm Boost spacing out back.
I thought one of the highlights of the new Norton’s spec sheet were the brake calipers. Poseidon used the very capable Juin Tech Hydraulic/Mechanical Disc Brakes.
The Norton comes in either Electric Green or Matte Black colors and is available as a frame only as well ($449.99 frame-only). Norton’s frame uses smoothed-out welds for a neat and clean aesthetic.
Let’s see what else the Norton MTB has on the spec sheet.
It has a decent spec that could grow with the rider by offering a good starting point to upgrade as needed.
- Frame: 6061 double heat-treated aluminum with tapered headtube (lifetime warranty)
- Fork: Suntour XCM34 Boost suspension fork w/ 130mm travel, tapered steerer (27.5 specific)
- Seatpost: 31.6
- Shifters: Flatbar microShift Advent X 10-speed
- Pedals: Plastic platform pedals
- Handlebars and Stem: 780mm flat bars with a 60mm stem +/- 7degree rise
- Tires: 27.5 x 2.35 Kenda Slant Six
- Brake levers: Tektro Flatbar Brake levers
- Wheels: 27.5 Thru axle set up with 15×110 front spacing and 12x148mm rear. combatable tubeless
- Rear Derailleur: microShift Advent X 10-speed
- Bottle Bosses: One bottle cage boss per frame
- Brakes: Juin Tech Hydraulic-Mechanical disc brakes
- Crank: Prowheel 32t narrow wide chainring, 104BCD, and 175mm crank arms
- Disc rotor size: 180mm
- Chain: KMC 10
- Bottom bracket: Square taper 73×113
- Cassette: 11-48 Advent X 10-speed cassette
- Weight: 30lbs
- 6061 double heat-treated aluminum (lifetime warranty)
- 1 1/2 – 1 1/8 tapered headtube
- Standard boost spacing 12 x 148mm rear. (thru axle not included)
- 73mm BSA threading for bottom bracket
- IS 42/52 headset included
- Seatpost collar included, made for 31.6 seatposts
- Stock build uses 180mm rotors and IS mount disc brakes
- Frame is specific to 27.5″ wheels but is 29er compatible up to a 2.1″ tire in the rear.
- Frame offers both internal and external routing for rear brake cables.
- Internal routing for rear derailleur and dropper post.
Check out the other low cost, well spec’d bikes that Poseidon Bikes offers below.